Project Manager, Spaceports Business Unit
Director, Planning and Development
This position is responsible for the management and oversight of design and construction projects and the oversight of consultants and contractors selected to execute these projects. Responsibilities include scoping, budgeting, monitoring, organizing, implementing, reporting and scheduling of projects. This position is responsible to ensure Space Florida’s spaceport development projects are executed in a timely and cost-effective manner in accordance with contract documents and Space Florida’s strategic direction.
- Manage a wide range of multiple discipline projects related to spaceport infrastructure and facilities from conception to completion and/or occupancy.
- Oversee the work of consultants (design phase) and contractors (construction phase) applying knowledge of engineering, permitting, and construction practices and procedures.
- Administer day-to-day activities including coordinating, initiating, monitoring, and managing a broad spectrum of design and construction projects.
- Manage multiple projects and priorities and make timely decisions to keep projects on track to meet financial, schedule, scope, and quality expectations in accordance with defined project requirements.
- Manage project budgets and schedules for all phases of design and construction.
- Coordinate phases of work to maintain overall schedule and projected need dates.
- Analyze, manage and mitigate project risks. Identify problems, evaluate options, and offer solutions.
- Prepare and/or review project-specific scope of services, staff hour estimates, proposals, and task orders.
- Participate in consultant and contractor selection process. Lead consultant negotiations and support contractor fee proposal reviews for successful contract execution and project initiation.
- Monitor and track project contract amounts, final projected costs, committed costs, payment status of past billings, project issues, and financial and schedule status, applying knowledge of job-cost reporting and earned value management.
- Prepare regular internal and external project status reports and corrective action plans.
- Participate in regular reviews with management and brief the status of all active projects including project issues, risks, and budget and schedule status.
- Collaborate with the stakeholders, federal and state partners, Space Florida’s customers and regulatory agencies to maintain effective working relationships.
- Coordinate the review and approval of plans, specifications, technical reports, submittals, shop drawings, requests for information, and pay applications with the review team and stakeholders.
- Attend, lead, and document meetings, site visits, and field reviews.
- Review invoices, recommend payments, and rectify errors and discrepancies.
- Review and, analyze contracts, claims or time extensions.
- Initiate, review and coordinate contract amendments and change orders.
- Understand and monitor consultant’s and contractor’s contract conditions, requirements, and deliverables.
- Coordinate with Space Florida Finance and Contracts Departments to ensure all contract conditions are met. Analyze and assure compliance of contract financial obligations.
- Ensure reports and deliverables required by foundational agreements (grants, land leases, etc.) are submitted to responsible organizations
- Coordinate with Space Florida’s agent responsible for building code review and inspection.
- Ensure Cape Canaveral Spaceport Development Standards are incorporated into the planning, design, and construction projects as appropriate.
- Interprets and explains contract documents (plans, specifications, and contract terms) to Space Florida personnel, consultants, and contractors.
- Bachelor’s degree in project management, architecture, engineering, or related field.
- 5-10 years direct project management experience.
- Proven work experience in design and/or construction.
- CAPM or PMP Certification
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, MS Project, MS SharePoint or similar software.