Vice President of Corporate Communications
President and CEO
This position will serve as an integral member of the Senior Leadership Team of Space Florida and will contribute to Space Florida’s organizational strategic planning and will be responsible for the development of communications strategy. The VP of Communications will develop and implement a broad range of public relations activities and campaigns designed to position the organization and its leadership as the premier thought leaders in commercial space, and act as the ambassador with the media to advance the organization’s position among constituents and drive broader awareness of its mission.
- Serve as primary communications advisor to Executive Leadership.
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance Space Florida’s brand identity, broaden awareness of its activities and priorities, and increase the visibility of its achievements across key stakeholder audiences.
- Create public relations strategy that will develop and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media, legislators, and key influencers.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with the leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions and design and execute appropriate actions and campaigns to support them.
- Maintain current knowledge and awareness of Space Florida projects and strategic initiatives, and proactively support the organization’s Vision, Mission, and Objectives through targeted communications campaigns directed toward media, public, and elected officials.
- Establish branding standards for communications and ensure compliance across the organization to implement the Space Florida brand strategy. Collaborate with executive leadership and provide standards for vendors to ensure the brand strategy is furthered through all official communications including the annual report, marketing collateral materials, electronic communications and websites, and all new media.
- Serve as the primary spokesperson and/or provide talking points and emphasis for leaders officially speaking for Space Florida. Filter requests for information, exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and either personally respond or prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting materials for responses by other leaders to media, named entities, and citizens of Florida. Ensure official communications promote and provide a positive and specific impact on any range of audiences that favors the organization, its mission, interests, actions, and achievements.
- Actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relations to ensure coverage surrounding Space Florida activities, special events, public announcements, and other project efforts.
- This position will create and manage a small communications team over time. There are currently no direct or indirect reports to this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field is required and an advanced degree is preferred.
- Ten or more years of experience and leadership in senior management in communications roles either in an organization or agency.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print publications and directories.
- Demonstrated success in writing and editing externally focused print and online communications published across a variety of media outlets.
- Experience in building, mentoring, influencing, engaging, and coaching a communications team, as a function head with noted ability to achieve high-impact results while responsibly managing financial and administrative resources.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills resulting in highly effective collaborations and mutual respect at all levels across Space Florida’s leadership, staff, and Board of Directors.
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top-tier media representatives and the ability to achieve high-impact placements.
- Clearly demonstrated excellence in judgment and self-reliance, creative problem identification and resolution, including translating innovative thinking into action plans and output, excellent negotiation skills, and the flexibility to demonstrate outstanding tactical and strategic thinking to make decisions in a changing environment, anticipating future needs.
- Recognized as an excellent and persuasive communicator