Job Title: Project Engineer
Department: Spaceports Business Unit
Reports To: VP Spaceport Planning & Development
FLSA Status: Exempt
This position is responsible to oversee and ensure the technical quality and overall success of Space Florida Spaceport capital projects. The Project Engineer acts as the technical subject matter expert to lead engineering projects involving design, studies, building and refurbishment activities, working within contractual framework. The position requires engineering knowledge and judgement in scoping, budgeting, managing, organizing, executing, and reporting on projects in accordance with Space Florida’s Spaceport capital improvement and master plans, guided by precedent and working within the limits of established policy.
ESSENTIAL ACCOUNTABILITIES or TASKS:
- Monitor and manage a wide range of multiple discipline projects related to planning, engineering and development of spaceport infrastructure from conception to completion and/or occupancy.
- Manage Space Florida’s continuing service consultant contracts and monitor consultant’s performance, technical requirements and deliverables.
- Participate in consultant and contractor selection process. Lead consultant staff hour negotiations and support contractor fee proposal reviews for successful contract execution and project initiation.
- Oversee and direct engineers and contractors during study, design, and construction phases applying knowledge of engineering, permitting, and construction practices and procedures.
- Interpret contractual conditions, requirements and deliverables to consultants and contractors, ensuring their compliance.
- Prepare periodic internal and external project status reports and corrective action plans.
- Participate in monthly reviews with management and brief the status of all active projects including project issues, risks, and budget and schedule status.
- Lead meetings, site visits, and field reviews with tenants, stakeholders, engineers, and contractors.
- Collaborate with the stakeholders, federal and state partners, Space Florida’s customers and regulatory agencies to maintain effective working relationships.
- Analyze, manage and mitigate project risks. Identify problems, evaluate options, and offer solutions.
- Regularly report on the status of projects, issues identified and resolved, and open issues. Seek guidance from VP, Spaceport Planning & Development regarding overall project expectations and challenging technical issues or matters that may require budget and scope extensions.
- Initiate, review and coordinate contract amendments and change orders.
- Coordinate the review and approval of plans, specifications, technical reports, submittals, shop drawings, requests for information, and pay applications with the review team and stakeholders.
- Coordinate with Space Florida Finance and Contracts Departments to ensure all contract conditions are met. Analyze and ensure compliance of contract financial obligations. Prepare and/or review project-specific scope of services, staff hour estimates, proposals and task orders.
- Direct multiple technical projects and priorities and make timely decisions to keep projects on track to meet financial, schedule, scope, and quality expectations in accordance with defined project requirements for all phases of design and construction.
- Monitor and track project contract amounts, final projected costs, committed costs, payment status of past billings, project issues, and financial and schedule status. applying knowledge of job-cost reporting and earned value management.
- Review invoices, recommend payments, and rectify errors and discrepancies.
- Ensure reports and deliverables required by foundational agreements (grants, land leases, etc.) are submitted to responsible organizations.
- Coordinate with Space Florida’s agent responsible for building code review and inspection.
- Direct the development and regular publication of Space Florida’s master plans, spaceport development project priorities, and related publications.
- Routinely update and annually publish the Cape Canaveral Spaceport Development Manual and ensure development requirements are incorporated into planning and development projects as appropriate.
- Interpret and explain contract documents (plans, specifications, and contract terms) to Space Florida personnel, consultants, and contractors.
- Develop reporting and management tools. Provide innovative ideas for continuous improvement for the planning and development program.
- Coordinate with stakeholders on Grant compliance for invoicing and deliverables.
- Identify and evaluate planning and development needs for programming future projects.
- Champion innovation and adapt to emerging trends in support of our mission.
This job does not have supervisory responsibilities.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Structural, Aerospace, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering Degree
- 3-5 years direct project management experience.
- Florida Engineering Intern license.
- Proven work experience in design and/or construction.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and MS 365 collaborative apps (SharePoint, Project).
- GIS and/or CADD experience.
- Land development and/or utilities engineering experience.
- Local permitting knowledge/experience.
- Spaceport experience.
- Florida Professional Engineering license.
- CAPM or PMP Certification.